Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cooking up a storm!

So we'll start with the easiest thing ever. I've made it twice, there are many ways to do it, here's the basic idea.

Eggplant Curry Dip
~0.75 eggplant, roasted/sauteed/stir-fried till super soft
1-2 tbsp red curry paste (to taste) (find a good thai store, it's usually cheap and YUMMY there)
1-1.5 cups Trader Joe's nonfat greek yogurt (or brand of choice)

Cook eggplant thoroughly in whatever method you choose. In a dip, it's fine to overcook eggplant, especially since it gets pureed in the end. I keep the skin on but that's just because I'm too lazy to peel. Plus, that's where the antioxidants are! But, it's your choice. Put the eggplant and 1-2 tablespoons (or more, depending on your spice choice) in a Magic Bullet/blender/food processor. Blend it until smooth and until the skin is at least chopped fine. I added in about a quarter to a half of the yogurt in to my Magic Bullet while blending to help get it pureed well enough, along with a tablespoon or two of water. I then hand mixed the rest of the yogurt into the eggplant. Voila!

Just as an aside: The first time I made this, I made a curry, with sauteed onions and garlic in the eggplant. I then pureed it all. It had a bit more flavor to it, and is a great way to use leftovers, but it's completely your choice on how you want to make this.

This is great with veggies, soy crisps, ak-maks and other yummy crackers, and even spread onto sandwiches or deli meat roll ups.

Will the enchilada muffin and granola recipes be posted tonight? Not so sure... I should be getting to bed.

No comments: