Tuesday, May 26, 2009

100th Post!

Whoopie! As I was about to create this entry, Blogger told me I currently have 99 posts.



So what's been going on here? What's this magnificent post going to be about? Cooking, of course! I had a long weekend - done at noon on Friday and of course Memorial Day off. I spent most of Friday spending TOO much money - Container Store, TJ Maxx, Farmer's Market (didn't get much - I was too exhausted by then), thai food. Saturday, I slept in, bummed around, cleaned some and made some pretty awesome Enchilada Muffins. Recipe to follow!

Sunday, Omar had the day off so we decided to head to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. Waterfalls Cafe has some absolutely AMAZING middle eastern food. The grape leaves were honestly as good as my Aunt Violet's, which is saying a LOT. After eating, we realized Sahadi's, a really awesome shop, is closed on Sunday, so we headed to Trader Joe's. My brother had never been before, and I think he was fairly impressed. The meat looked pretty good, the dried fruit and nut prices are good, he was a fan of the single beers, and he pretty much wanted to buy every cookie, chocolate, and frozen dessert. After shopping, we came home and crashed. And then got some amazing sushi for dinner. I must say, my brother always finds the most delicious restaurants to eat at, but my budget gets blown out of the water.

Today, after getting a mani/pedi - god I love New York, $20 for the two - and some quick grocery shopping, I came home to cook. Homemade granola, sauted shrimp, roasted eggplant and some thai dressing. I made this delicious dressing with thai basil from my herb garden, fish sauce, a chile, lime juice, agave nectar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Then, I spilled it all over the counter, wall, and kitchen rug. Can we say PISSED? I attempted to recreate it, but it was nowhere near as good, especially since I didn't have much basil left. Oh well. Tried to roast some eggplant in the toaster oven - bad idea. I was just going to eat the shrimp and eggplant with the dressing/dip, but since it was subpar, I sauteed the other half of the eggplant and made yummy eggplant curry dip. I'm going to post all the recipes in one or a few posts.

No comments: