Sunday, December 9, 2007

Wow, lots of stuff to talk about!

Neglected the blog for some reason... so I'll make some of this quick....or I'll try.

Went in on 11/29, weighed in, still a shitty lack of weight loss, but the doctor said it's still okay. Surgery was actually scheduled for 12/3, not 12/4. Sweeeeeet! I went into the hospital at 7:30am Monday and got home around 2pm Wednesday. A summary of my days in the hospital:

Monday morning, got to the hospital around 7:30. Had to wait until about 8:15 to go back. Got me gowned up, and on the bed/stretcher. My awesome anesthesiologist came in and started poking. I seriously have ONE good vein - right arm, in the crook, at the elbow. She tried 2 other spots, no luck. So she put the IV in at my good spot, and said they'd probably move it once I was under. Got wheeled into the OR and stuff finally, and after some deep breathing, etc, I was pretty much under.

Monday afternoon, around 1pm? I was woke up in the recovery room. GAH gas pains are fucking hellish. Thank you for all the warnings and such, but MAN, wow. Saw my coordinator Susan (who is absolutely fantastic) and she said it went GREAT! It was laproscopic (YAYAYAYAY!) and my liver looked so good they didn't even biopsy it. They took my gallbladder out too. My doc said the surgery, since they were taking the gallbladder out too, would probably take 4-5 hrs instead of 2-3. But it only took 2-3!

The ride from the recovery room to my room was long as crap, and all that fun stuff. And basically, the rest of the day was painful and uncomfortable. I got some IV pain meds every 6 hrs and like 1 ice chip an hour. God my mouth was SOOOOOOOOO dry. They poked and prodded me a lot, and I didn't pee till midnight that night - they finally started pumping a lot of fluid in me. Horrible "sleep" Monday night, of course, because they were in and out all night and the pain meds didn't really last a full 6 hrs for me. Or the gas was just too much.

Tuesday was better - I could actually have FLUIDS! 3 medicine cups/hr, including liquid pain meds (they had me try them Monday but too much for the stomach). I had a popsicle w/my meds, and I tried 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 water but I still think it's too much sugar in the stomach. A close friend from school came and visited for 2 hrs in the afternoon, and my aunt came that evening. I walked (2 small laps monday, 2 larger laps Tuesday, 2 larger laps Wednesday) and sat upright, etc every day. Slept SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better Tuesday night - less proding and poking, but I had a slight temp at one point Tuesday night. It went away. Gas was getting much better. Still haven't had a BM yet but I've peed a lot.

Wednesday, they brought in a late breakfast with a hockey puck egg and some oatmeal and beneprotein and 'butter'. Luckily, they timed it perfectly with my coordinator Susan coming by. So I ate in front of her, and it stayed down, etc etc. Thank god! She said she would let the docs and nurses know that I'm good to be discharged. Finally got my IVs out (they put one like in the artery on my left hand during surgery - that fucker HURT!). Oh, and I weighed while Susan was there - 311!!!! I was 322 like a week ago!

So, finally got home, my mom went to the store and pharmacy, and I tried to eat. I ate like 1/2 medicine cup of cottage cheese at 4:30pm, and the same amount at 10:30. I tried making a protein drink w/some unflavored GNC powder I had in the evening and I almost puked. Even though my eating was bad today, I've literally drank at least 60 oz of water, along with a popsicle and some ice.

So that was a lot to write out, but I'm glad to be home. I had a wonderful shower and my mama blow dried my hair for me (OMG playing with my hair is like the easiest way to make me...easy! :beatup:) Wednesday night's sleep was amazing, especially on 2 vicodins. But, they freakin gave me vicodin pills! I have to break each one in half and get them down.

I haven't been able to get all my protein in daily, but I'm um I'm trying.... getting in all the fluids, taking all the pills and vitamins, and simply eating (especially since I have NO hunger) is freaking difficult!

No comments: