Saturday, June 20, 2009

Eat your veggies!

It's been gross and rainy for the entire month of June here in New York, and maybe it's just me, but it makes me want to turn into a couch slug and eat horribly. But, I've also just been in a personal funk lately. I don't know if my actions lead to my mindset or vice versa, but it's not fun.

Actions? Running late in the morning (from not wanting to get out of bed or getting distracted by stupid things), letting the stupid subway stalling cause an emotional breakdown. (Literally, I cried for most of the ride to work. I just could. not. stop.) Oh, and not waking up until 9am another day? Which meant I didn't get to work till 10:30, and had to bullshit an excuse. I was too embarrassed to man up and say "Yeah, I overslept." Just feeling..eh.

On Wednesday, the day I got into work at 10:30, I decided to walk as far as I could after work until I didn't feel like it. I started from work, and went south on Fifth and then Sixth Ave. I ended up walking 2.3 miles before I got on the C train. It didn't fix all ails, but it was nice to just walk. I love that New Yorkers really couldn't give a damn about others. No one cared if I was walking to 'escape' my funk (whether it was outwardly as obvious as it was inwardly to me) or what. I got some odd looks the morning I was crying on the subway but no one was nosy enough to ask.

So...that's an update. But, what was my original point in posting? Oh, yeah... So two Thursdays ago, my first CSA pickup, we got a ton of mixed greens. I had no idea what to do with them, so I emailed Heidi from 101 Cookbooks. She's what I consider the master of healthy, yummy vegetarian recipes. She gave me some great basic directions and I really appreciate it. Tonight, I went with her ideas, and made her Garlicky Greens, or my take on them, FINALLY. I was pleasantly surprised with how the greens had faired in the fridge for a week and a half. Since I rambled on about my feelings and my life, I'm going to post the actual recipe in a second post. But two things I have to say - it's amazing (for me) how cooking something delicious can perk me up. Mentally having a recipe work makes me happy. And two, don't be intimidated by greens, nor think you have to kill them like Southerners do with collards. Just go to Heidi!

No comments: