Monday, February 16, 2009

I am the definition of grace and intelligence in the kitchen

Yeah friggin right.

So, the beef in cabernet - since it was stew beef and slow cooked for a solid 12 hours, it definitely turned into a wine stew of sorts. I wanted to reduce the wine sauce and help eliminate some of the alcoholic flavor of the wine, so I dumped it into a large pot from the slow cooker and turned the stove eye on. On for less than five minutes, I notice that some of the shredded beef, onions, carrots, celery deliciousness are already stuck to the bottom of the pan. >.< I figure I still need to reduce it, so might as well go for it. I add cornstarch mixed with broth to the mixture, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a bit.

I do realize I could let it cook longer and get thicker, but by now, I'm just ready to be done. So, after it's cooled for a few minutes, start to transfer it to plastic containers. Boy am I smart when I try to pour a whole pot of stew into a container made to hold MAYBE half of the contents. It takes the container completely spilling over for me to realize this, and I don't think I've made a bigger mess.

Plus, the whole bottom of the pan is nicely scorched on. I pray I just didn't scrape too much off to give the whole freakin stew that lovely burnt flavor. It's finally in 4 small containers, cooling before I stick most of them in the freezer. God I'm glad the one roommate that had been around left to run for a while. I did NOT want anyone to see me being a complete retard.

No comments: